Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cashews? An unusual fruit.

Earlier you read where we are in the process of building a fence in our lot. The man that we hired and brought his crew showed up yesterday with a funky looking "thing." We had no idea what it was. When I asked my housekeeper she said it was a "maranon." So what is that, I asked. Did some research and this is what I found.

It's seed, the cashew nut, grows on top of it in a tick rubbery shell. Cashews must be roasted before they can be eaten, they are poisonous when raw.
Ripe fruit can be made into a shake or can also be fermented into wine. My housekeeper squeezed the juice into one glass and Ronnie drank it. He said it did not taste bad. Now we have the cashews that we can plant if we wish and have a tree like this grow in our back yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment